Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sketches of Ireland















Hello everyone! In case anyone reading this was not already aware of my vacation plans, I have just returned from 2 weeks in Ireland. Man, what a beautiful country. We saw rocky mountains, lush grasslands, babbling brooks running through green woods, and staggering cliffs dropping off into bright blue, near-tropical looking waters. Absolutely everything was so damn picturesque. Even the most charming little town in America cannot compare to the quaintness of the sleepy little Irish towns we passed through every day. Sheep and cows grazed on virtually every available patch of grass, often butting up right against the ruins of a medieval castle or pre-Christian stone fort. The Irish are so used to being surrounded by ancient history that they don't even pay attention to it. In fact, we visited one neolithic stone structure that had been used recently as a pen to house calves.

I could go on, but who really wants to hear a lengthy essay on my summer vacation? So to sum it up: Ireland is a magical wonderland, and Guinness does, in fact, taste better over there.

I'm finally back in Columbus now, and it's time to get posting again. Here are a few quick sketches I did while in Ireland. Included are sketches of the Rock of Cashel, Hore Abbey, the Burren area near Doolin, a few graveyards that looked straight out of Gothic literature, the town of Ballyna(?), and some studies I did while attending a cattle auction in Blacklion, Co. Cavan. These are 100% on-location sketches, so please excuse the hurried lines and inaccurate perspective.

I'll post more professional looking stuff as it develops.

4 comments:

Liz said...

love it!!! your sketches transport me right back :-)

Jeff Lance said...

Thanks! I miss the chilly weather already.

Jordan said...

Is there any chance I could commission one of these?

Jeff Lance said...

Sure thing! What would you like me to do?