Friday, August 22, 2008

Alice Cooper


I'd say the scariest part of this picture is Alice Cooper's horrible back-swing! Rimshot.

I had some weird moral quandaries while making this poster. I knew I wanted to play up the Alice Cooper golf celebrity angle, and playing with a severed head seemed to fit his act perfectly, but I've never been a big fan of the slasher movie, violence-against-women-as-entertainment thing. I tried using male heads, skulls, and various shrunken heads, but none of them seemed very Alice Cooper. Shrunken heads might work for a Cramps poster, but Alice has a distinct history of trashing mannequins and baby dolls. I needed more context.

My solution was to make the woman's head as garish and goofy as possible. A dumb grin, caked-on-makeup, and blank eyes helped steer the image away from the scared, murder-victim look that I couldn't bring myself to draw. Stylistically, however, I just had to go with the Grindhouse/exploitation cinema aesthetic. The allure of retro is simply too appealing.


School starts Monday. Hopefully updates will become more frequent.

6 comments:

Colleen said...

I still think you should of used his own head, but that's just me.

Jordan said...

Haha awesome.

Jeff Lance said...

Actually, the poster proved to be quite thematically appropriate, as he smacked some girl around onstage before slitting her throat. He was then executed.

Robin said...

You should also mention that your poster made you very much the belle of the ball at Neil's birthday party. Everyone was talking about it.

alex fine illustration said...

Conceptually awesome but even more impressive is how you drew his hair. Really great poster.

Jeff Lance said...

Haha, thanks! Of course, I did learn from the master...