Saturday, September 20, 2008

Motion City Soundtrack



The idea for this one came from an unused thumbnail composition for a project I did last semester. I've been really digging the old school video game iconography for a while now. The classic 8-bit sprites are a perfect visual shorthand for videogames, the digital age, the late 70's/early 80's, aliens--anything really. In this instance, I think they do a nice job of evoking the synthesized aspect of Motion City Soundtrack's music. For the figure of the astronaut I tried to retain the life and spontaneity of my sketches--something that often seems to disappear when I move to the final. I've included the original drawing in this post, as I think it stands quite nicely on its own.

In other news, we had some pretty intense wind last weekend here in Columbus. Sixty percent of the city lost power, and some areas are still without electricity. A grim reminder of nature's supreme power, or a chance to miss three days of school? You decide!

5 comments:

Alex Lyon said...

I'm really loving how this came out. Actually i would like a print if that's alright. Went really great Jeff. Kudos.

Jeff Lance said...

No Prob. Thanks for the compliments!

Jordan said...

Can I use one of your Ireland sketches for one of my beer labels?

Jordan said...

HAHA yeah I guess Sunday is the day for blog surfing! I would love for you to do a label, that would be awesome, absolutely awesome. I was going to use one of your Ireland sketches, but if you're into drawing something I would love it!
-J

~V said...

love!