Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Character Design Updates


Hello again, everyone. I've briefly returned from homework limbo and I'm prepared to update. To make up for my complete posting negligence, I'll be posting a few homework assignments from my character design class, as well as some sketches and experiments from my figure drawing class. I've also got a poster on the way. I'll post that as soon as possible.

This first assignment was to turn Jeff Goldblum into a cartoon animal, then do a full turnaround of the character. It was a challenge to maintain the likeness of a celebrity in 360ยบ, but I think it turned out well. The hectic pace of this class is tough on the nerves, but I can feel myself getting much better at doing turnarounds quickly and efficiently.

For those of you who missed out, two weekends ago was Illuxcon, a fantasy art convention held in Altoona, Pennsylvania. This was an event where illustrators and conceptual artists from the fields of videogames, movies and publishing could sell original art to collectors, as well as schmooze with fellow artists. Armed with free student passes, a few friends and I piled into a car and drove out there. Man, what an experience. For two days I watched painting demonstrations and lectures from top industry professionals, chatted up artists, and saw tons of original art. At night we hung out at the hotel bar with all of the artists; drinking, sketching, and passing around portfolios. This, to me, was the best part of the whole convention. I met a lot of great people and learned many tricks of the trade. They've already announced the deadline for next year. If you're into that sort of thing, I'd definitely check it out.