Friday, October 30, 2009

The Black Dahlia Murder



I chose to do a metal band this time around, because I wanted to play with ridiculously indulgent metal imagery; gothic crying angels, gore, viscera, medieval weaponry, etc. As I started doing research though, I found that I couldn't really exaggerate that stuff any further than what was already being done. The joke would be totally lost, and my sly, ironically detached pastiche would come off as a sincere piece of fanboy art. Not cool.

So I decided to go the other direction, and illustrate some Satanic imagery in a decidedly more laid back style. The dapper goat-headed fellow is Baphomet, a pagan diety and important figure in crackpot conspiracy circles. I've included his picture for reference, and you can read all about him here.

And I'm finally caught up with my postings. More posters underway, however, so check back soon!

4 comments:

Jordan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jordan said...

I really like this one!

alex fine illustration said...

This one is great for so many reasons. The light source is very believable and the figure is really expressive. Great work!

o'reilly ink said...

I love BDM. That whole band is ridiculous. The fiance and his friend went to that show, but I have seen them enough for now.
Really cool work, as always :)