Saturday, November 28, 2009

OK Go



"All you need for a movie is a gun and a girl."
Jean-Luc Godard

I open with that quote for two reasons,

1) It sounds totally cool.

2) It sort of relates to the thought process behind this piece.

My first instinct was to put "OK Go" in a speech bubble. It just sounded like the kind of thing someone could shout. I also wanted it to look hip and fashionable. After a few sketches I settled on the idea of 2 girls in the middle of a heist. Perhaps it's an odd exclamation given the context, but I've been trying to embrace a bit of surrealism in my posters. I then looked to old French New Wave cinema posters and clips to really get down that retro-cool I love so well. Hopefully the whole thing succeeds as a cross between a 60's movie poster and a comic book-- a look I've been trying to pin down for some time now. I'm not what sure direction my style will ultimately take in the future, but for now, I feel I may be onto something exciting...